Aquila’s enrollment, coupled with increased programming needs, have created constraints with the existing building capacity, leading to the need for the St. Louis Park Public Schools community to examine ways to address building capacity challenges at Aquila.
In the spring, we held several information and listening sessions. We are grateful for the outpouring support and care for the Aquila school community. Many recommendations were shared, and have directly informed our community plan to move forward. On June 27, the school board heard and approved recommendations.
The following recommendations have been approved by the school board:
- Starting on July 1, 2023, the Rise on 7 development will be moved to the Susan Lindgren attendance area.
- Aquila will remain closed to open enrollment students. As of July 1, 2023, Aquila will no longer allow students to remain open enrolled after the school year in which they move out of the attendance area, and will no longer accept open enrolled students under exceptions for students of staff members or siblings. Students of staff members who live outside of the Aquila attendance area who are currently enrolled will be allowed to stay at Aquila.
- Through August 4, 2023, interested Aquila families will have the option to voluntarily transfer to Peter Hobart or Susan Lindgren. Transportation will be provided. Students currently enrolled in Kids Place child care will maintain their child care enrollment at their new assigned school. Please complete this form to make your request. Requests must be received prior to 4 p.m. on August 4, 2023. Requests received after August 4, 2023 will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Students who reside north of Minnetonka Boulevard will be able to attend Peter Hobart.
- Students who reside south of Minnetonka Boulevard will be able to attend Susan Lindgren.
- We will continue to study potential facilities additions to Aquila. Any future facility additions would be completed using existing funds, with no new tax implications.
Going forward, we will hold additional information and listening sessions as needed, during which we will share necessary details about these changes. Additionally, we will continue to provide updates that will be shared via various channels including email, newsletters, school websites and social media platforms. We encourage you to stay engaged and informed about this important matter.
We understand that you may have questions or concerns, and we encourage you to reach out to us directly. For more information about these changes, please view the June 27 School Board presentation. We are immensely grateful for your continued support and partnership in providing the best possible education for your child and all the students in our school community.